Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Class of 2033

A few weeks ago, my baby sister graduated from college. Like me, she went to Texas A&M and I'm so insanely proud of her. She got her degree in Supply Chain Management, or "stuff' as she likes to tell everyone. I hadn't originally expected to be able to make it back to Texas for her graduation, but this is another one of those blessings in disguise from the earthquake and subsequent evacuation. I was thrilled that not only would I get to see my sister walk across that stage, but that Kimber was going to make her first trip down to Aggieland, one of my favorite places in the world.



Kimber and her Aunt Cheyanne 

I've mentioned before how much I love College Station. I have so many great memories there and every time I go back, I feel like I'm going home. My husband and I have traveled to some of the most beautiful and historic cities in the world, and yet nothing I've seen can compare to the view of Kyle Field from the intersection of Wellborn and 2818. One of the first things I did after finding out I was pregnant was calculate that she would be a member of the Fightin Texas Aggie Class of 2033!  I couldn't wait to share this place that means so much to me with my own child.


Century Tree


After watching Aunt Shiny get her diploma, (Whoop!) we took Kimber around campus getting pictures at all of the important A&M landmarks so we could send them to her Daddy. First, we went to Kyle Field where she'll spend many hot Saturday afternoons standing up to cheer on the Aggie Football team. Of all of the places on campus, Kyle Field holds a special place in my heart. You see I originally had no plans to attend Texas A&M. In my mind, it was too far from home and all of my friends. However, a family friend convinced me to take a trip down there for a football game and campus visit during my senior year. We sat high up in the "zone" and during the game, I looked down over at the student section. It was a sea of maroon and the fans stood and cheered the entire game. There was so much excitement and tradition surrounding me that I absolutely fell in love. In the four hours between kickoff and watching the corps members carry the Yell Leaders off the field at the end of the game, I knew that it was where I was meant to be. If it weren't for that one football game, who knows where I might have ended up!


H-1 Seniors
In front of her Dad's old dorm!
Next we took her picture at the big seal in Koldus where her Daddy and I had our picture taken on our own graduation day over 4 years ago. We also went by my husband's old dorm from back when he was in the Corps of Cadets. We even found the current seniors from H-1, the outfit he was in and got her picture taken with them. Then we showed her the statue of Sul Ross where she'll go to put out pennies for luck before a big exam. Later that night we took her out for her first dinner at La Bodega, our family's favorite restaurant! Both my sister and I waited tables there during our time at school, so who knows, in 18 years, she could be working there too!

At Bodega
I know it'll be many many years before Kimber is ready to go off to college on her own and that when she's older, she won't even remember this trip. However I still had a great time seeing my little girl dressed in Aggie maroon and showing her the place where her father and I met and fell in love. I can't wait until she gets a little bit older and my husband and I can take her to her very first football game at Kyle Field! I'm just hoping that she loves it as much as I did and that it makes as big an impression on her as my first game did for me!

1 comment:

  1. I love the pics!!! She's going to look back on all of them one day and be so grateful you guys took her on this little excursion :)

    Love ya!
    Jacqueline H.

    ReplyDelete