Being a new mom is unlike anything I could have ever expected. I knew there would be lots of early mornings and diaper changes and late night feedings, but I didn't know what it would feel like to have someone depend on me so completely. Nor did I know what it would be like to love someone so deeply and worry about them every minute of the day. I barely slept at all her first week here because I couldn't even close my eyes unless I knew she was safe in someone else's arms. I finally learned to put her down to sleep, but even now she still sleeps in the room with me and I don't know how I'll ever put her in her own room. Rather than keeping me awake at night, the little noises she makes in her sleep are comforting and help me fall asleep. The days can be long and pretty exhausting, but that brief second where she smiles at me or does something to make me laugh makes it all worthwhile. She truly is the most beautiful baby I've ever seen and has already been such a blessing in my life.| Trying to eat her boppy pillow |
Two weeks ago my doctor cleared me to start working out again. I've already gone out for a few short runs and they were great! I couldn't believe just how much I had missed it over the past few months. Those two miles were just as slow and painful as it was when I first started running two years ago but I loved every step. Even though I'm not very fast (even at my very best) and I still have a long way to go to be where I would like to be as far as mileage goes, running has become an important part of my life. Moving to Japan has kept me from making the progress I would like career-wise, and running has given me goals to achieve and something to be proud of myself for over the past two years. Our BOB jogging stroller is waiting for me back in Japan and I'm really looking forward to taking Kimber out in it and building my mileage back up again! I'm anticipating many miles and lots of fun together with it.
![]() |
| Talking to her friend in the mirror! |
Right now we're in Alabama for my grandmother's 80th birthday party. As hard as this whole evacuation situation has been, in a way it's been a bit of a blessing. Had we not come back here for her birth, a lot of my family probably wouldn't have gotten a chance to meet Kimber until after we moved back from Japan. It has been great being back here and I'm really glad everyone is getting a chance to meet my little angel before we spend the next two years so far away!


...and Happy 80th Birthday to Great Grandmother!
ReplyDeleteAnd it will just keep getting better and better!! (mommy-hood that is) They grow so fast!! Enjoy every minute of it, and yes it will change often and without notice - Kaylyn went through the same thing where she would eat so much before sleep and then she would sleep for 6-8 hours, it was heaven!! It's changed many times since then!
ReplyDeleteGlad that Kimber is being such a good baby!! I hope that I can meet her before you guys leave!!