To begin with, we have some exciting news that I'm sure everyone already knows. While we were in Hawaii, we found out that we're going to have a new addition to the Morris family in April. Being the accounting nerd I am, I'm actually due on April 15th, tax day, which we thought was appropriate. I'm currently right around 19 weeks and have been feeling pretty good lately. I was originally concerned about dealing with morning sickness while I was trying to study, but I was extremely fortunate and it wasn't really a problem. Even though he doesn't really know what's going on yet, I'm sure that Bosley is going to make an excellent big brother! My husband and I are both extremely excited though it's still a little hard to believe sometimes. Even after seeing the most recent ultrasound picture that actually resembled a baby, I'm still not convinced there's really one in there. My next appointment is scheduled for the day before Thanksgiving, so hopefully we'll be able to find out then whether we're having a boy or girl. Currently I'm convinced it's a boy, but the husband firmly believes it's a girl, so we'll find out who's right soon enough.
I retook the FAR section of the CPA exam at the beginning of October and am still waiting on the results. Because the test is only offered in the United States or one of its territories, I had to fly out to Guam to take it. I'd heard how pretty the island was, but sadly didn't get a chance to really do much exploring. I locked myself in my hotel room the day before the exam to get in some last minute cramming, but did go out for dinner at Denny's that night which was a nice reminder of home. I'd planned on driving around to sightsee after the exam, but it ended up raining all day so I went back to my hotel, watched movies, and enjoyed not having to study for the first time in over a month! I've been waiting on my score for over a month now and should hopefully find out next week or so if I'm lucky. If not, I could end up having to wait another month until the next score release which would drive me absolutely insane!
A little over a week after I got back, my husband finally came home! He was only gone for around 40 days or so, but it felt like much longer. While he was on the boat, the only way we could communicate was by email. I got into the habit of checking my email probably 100 times a day (and I'm not exaggerating). While I was using my computer to study (and can't really use the internet), I'd have my phone next to me so I could check it every few minutes. I went crazy waiting and hoping for just a few words from him. I noticed how much harder it was to fall asleep at night if I hadn't heard from him before I went to bed. If I woke up in the middle of the night for something, I'd first reach over to my phone to check and see if I had any new emails from him. If so, I'd easily fall right back asleep. At one point, the internet on the ship was down for 3 days which was absolute torture. The emails I'd sent were being sent back so I knew it was an internet problem rather than something else. Still, not having that one email per day to look forward to made the days go by that much slower and made me feel even lonelier. When the ship would dock somewhere, occasionally he'd be able to call me from Skype. Hearing his voice after weeks without it was like getting the best Christmas present ever. I can't imagine how difficult this must have been for Navy wives in the years before all this technology was available. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't been able to hear from him at all during that time. For me, getting only an email or two a day was hard enough. I can't imagine going 6 weeks with no word whatsoever or only one insanely expensive phone call from a port somewhere.
It's been hard enough adjusting to life in Japan, but it was even harder while he was gone. For now, it's been wonderful having him home. I recently went home for a quick two week visit that I'll write more about later, including the massive amounts of food I ate while there! For now, I've got to get to bed. It seems that being pregnant has turned me into an incredibly old lady because I'm now incapable of staying up past 10 o'clock. In fact, I'm usually falling asleep on the couch by about 9:15. So good night everyone! (Or for those back home, Good Morning)
No comments:
Post a Comment