Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Babies

Spring is here! The weather in Jax is a beautiful 71 degrees, the sun is shining, and we have 6 baby ducks!! No they're not technically mine, but they're in my creek so it counts, right? I was outside the other day with Bosley and I look over and see them swimming around in a little group with their mom and I practically screamed and drug Bosley back inside so I could get the camera. The poor mama duck was probably telling them to stay away from the crazy lady but I managed to get a couple of pictures.

The very next day they were actually sitting right on the bank in our backyard and stayed there while I walked around taking pictures. They are so tiny and adorable with their little fuzzy yellow faces. I want one so badly, but the husband won't let me have one :-( I think the Boz would love a baby duck friend.

Later that day, I walk out to my car to head to the library and I see a black snake slithering across our street toward our house and into my front yard. I know black snakes are supposedly not poisonous, but I don't care. I hate snakes. Funnily enough though, my first thought was about my babies. I was so worried that he would make his way to the backyard and get to my ducks. I closed the garage door so that A) he couldn't get in my garage and B) hoping that the noise would scare him off. It worked and he turned around and headed back for the street. I jumped in my car and (after checking for children or people in the street) gunned it and tried to back over him, but I missed and he headed down the sewer drain. Ugh, knowing that he is alive somewhere in my neighborhood is still pretty creepy. I think it's the same one that hissed at me last fall while I was taking Bosley for a walk, at least I certainly hope it is. I don't even want to think about the possibility of there being more than one snake out here threatening the life of my ducks. I didn't see the babies yesterday which got me all worried, but the husband tells me he did, so that makes me feel a little better.

My next test is in a week, so wish me luck!!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, you make me laugh! Good luck on your test friend!

    ReplyDelete